Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Friends

I had to force myself to get out of bed at 9 plus this morning to meet my friends. Even though I had been sleeping a lot the last few days, I still feel tired. Perhaps I'm too burnt-out to recuperate in a few days. I'm rather ashamed to say that I actually almost considered not turning up for the gathering. The problem lies not with the company but with me - I feel too down and drained to want to talk to anyone. But because 1 of them, A, will be leaving for London for good in a few weeks time, I decided that I should make the effort to meet up while we still have the chance. In the end, I'm glad I went. It's nice to catch up with old friends.

But I do feel kind of sad that A will be leaving for London to join her husband who's working there. Even though we do not see each other that often in Singapore due to our ridiculously busy lives, we do make the effort to meet up whenever we can. Soon, there will be 1 less person to have a nice meal with, to catch musicals & concerts, travel with...

I find that the older one gets, the more difficult it is to find friends who can hang out with you. I do not have many close friends in the first place. Not many people make it to my 'inner circle' of friends. And those whom I consider close friends are so tied down by work. When they are off work, they have to spend time with their special someone / family. Others have problems of their own to deal with and so unless they call me because they need to de-stress, I try not to add on to their stress by unloading all my problems on them. I guess I don't want to bother them unless I'm in really serious shit. And I think I have a high tolerance for shitty things - so I usually try to cope rather than call them. But A always makes the effort to meet for a meal - something I really appreciate. I will definitely miss her.

No comments: